Reflections Of A Daughter-In-Law

Image courtesy : daaesha-maharukh.blogspot.com


You say, A Daughter-In-Law can never be a Daughter
But I give you more than I would my Mother or Father.

My agreement and obedience you praise and reward
But my personal opinions are not worth a thought.

You advice with my husband I should always agree
But as per your convenience, I should have my identity.

My husband’s individuality and opinions you do not approve
His love and loyalty to you each time he has to prove.

An argument with him, and you stop talking to me
But my help you seek, with you for him to agree.

As per your convenience, my children are yours
Their tantrums and inadequacies, are but my fault.

Everything in your house and life is my responsibility
But to take decisions, I have no authority.

You say my sister in law has more rights than I do
In which situation will she stand by you?

For you, I am an outsider throughout
Seeking permission to live in your house.



For how long are you going to treat me with threats
Till when do you expect me to live under duress?

With me can you please quit competing
Publicly stop mocking and humiliating.

I am who I am and will always be
Your wishes and happiness are not my only priority. 

I am not here to fulfil your dreams and desires
I am not here on display for society to admire

My life is beyond your son, grandchildren and you
I have an equal right to be and dream too.



When does the acceptance finally come?
When do I become with your family one?

They say for me to live you have to die
Such evil thoughts, I cannot live by.

I am tired of proving and trying to belong
For unconditional love and affection, I truly long.

When will this house and family truly be mine?
Till when do you expect me to bide my time?

Comments

  1. Another issue, very well put! Absolutely bang on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely true!! Very well put and true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Aditi..every words is so so apt..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Aditi..every words is so so apt..

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very true ....most women go through

    ReplyDelete
  6. as usual.... spot on.
    this is what happens to us everyday..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts