Motherhood... Take 2




Happier Days!! Those surely are the ones when the boys are away at my mom’s or either I am away on a trip without the kids!

Words can hardly express the extent to which I relish those moments. Those are the precious few days of the year that keep me happy, sane and ticking all year through.

Of course I am a mother and love my kids to the moon and back, but they sure have turned my life upside down, into a circus… where they are the ring masters and I am the lioness performing tricks under their whip!  Just knowing there will be no routine, no arguments and fights, no tantrums and dramas for the next couple of days is a relief. Not screaming about sticky hands on the couch and spilt milk on the floor is calming. Not seeing pencil shavings and paint on the floor feels super clean. Not instructing about washing hands before meals and flushing after peeing makes me feel like a normal intelligent human being! Taking a shower without someone banging on the door is a pleasure… Just not hearing the word Mamma five hundred times a day is relaxing!

As much as I love them, it is absolutely priceless to be able to sleep whenever I want and not worry about the morning alarm. The delight of reading all day if I please or spending  an entire afternoon in meaningful nothingness is invaluable. The freedom to do a movie marathon, to step out when I please without any planning and worrying, to do absolutely anything that I fancy at any point of time in the day and not having to consider their routines, needs and moods is something I treasure.

It’s wonderful to have the entire bed to ourselves and it is an absolute treat to be the one who gets the good morning kiss instead of the baby.

Very often, people question my motherly instincts and feelings towards my boys, but honestly I doubt if these small little pleasures make me less motherly than any other mother. The joy and sanity these little breaks bring into my life is immeasurable. I look forward to the monthly weekends when my kids go off to my mom’s and each year I diligently and meticulously plan and keenly await the annual 10 day trip we take minus the kids.

I thoroughly enjoy the company of my boys. It’s a lot of fun to play ball, run around the house, make puzzles, do origami, build castles or play hide and seek. I regularly plan and look forward to movie nights and dinner dates with the kids. The fun and frolic and chaos in the house and my life every day is absolutely precious and it’s pure and sheer joy to be their mother.

But, occasionally, I treasure my time too. It feels nice to do my things and have my space from time to time. Sometimes all I want is the absence of noise around me. Above all, I just love the rare leisure of doing or saying nothing!

Comments

  1. I so agree with you..... beautifully expressed ....oh you need time without kids to recharge your batteries and get some sanity back...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts